Home: > What We Sell: > Whole Crop Silage
The object of growing a crop of Whole Crop Silage is to achieve as high a yield of grain as possible.
We have concentrated on Barley, Wheat and Triticale in this feature, however should you require information on Oats or mixes of Oats and Peas or Oats and Vetches etc, please contact us.
Barley and Wheat: The Foundation for Arable Research (FAR) conducts an extensive trial program throughout New Zealand annually. Testing most of the commercially available cultivars of Wheat and Barley. From this trial program you get important information on yields, disease susceptibility and clear description of each cultivars strengths and weaknesses. From this information we can select the most suitable cultivator for you in your region.
Triticale: There are now several cultivars (although a lot less than for Wheat and Barley) of triticale available on today's market. At this stage there is not the same extensive trial program on them as we have for Wheat and Barley we do have some information and a lot of grower comment on them. Once again we are happy to recommend the most suitable cultivar for you and your region. This is sometimes dictated by what's physically available for sale.
When to Sow ?
Barley and Wheat:
- Recommended winter sowing date is from "mid May until end of July".
- Recommended spring sowing dates are from "early August until mid October".
- Recommended early sowing date for winter grazing followed by spring silage "February until mid March".
- Recommend winter sowing dates from "mid May until end of July".
- Recommended spring silage sowing dates "mid August until late October".
- Later crops can sown however they can impact on yield and limit post crop sowing options.
Use the lower sowing rate for the earlier sowing time and the higher rate for the later sowing dates within the periods as mentioned above:
- Winter sowing: 110 - 125 kgs per hectare
- Spring sowing: 130 - 140 kgs per hectare
- Winter sowing: 120 - 130 kgs per hectare
- Spring sowing: 135 - 150 kgs per hectare
- Autumn sowing: 130 - 145 kgs per hectare
- Winter sowing: 135 - 150 kgs per hectare
- Spring sowing: 145 - 160 kgs per hectare
For your free complete growing guide for whole crop cereal silage please contact us.